|Campbell Family Graves|
|Grave of John Campbell|
Who died after being struck by lightening
|Grave of 8 year old Lexy Campbell|
Campbellville Burying Ground is located in Campbellville, Halton Hills on the north side of McLaren Road, just west of Main Street (Guelph Line) Milton. The land was donated by John Campbell and his wife Lexy (Alexine Buchanan) in 1853. The Campbell's immigrated from Argylshire Scotland in 1831, after spending one year in Montreal the family made its way to Halton in 1832 and purchased 100 acres of land.
Although, the official opening date of the cemetery was in 1853, it is evident that burials had taken place at earlier dates. The first burial was that of Lexy Campbell, John and Lexy Campbell's 8 year old daughter who died in 1840. There is also evidence of other members of the Campbell family buried here before 1853.
On April 25th, 1854 just one day after John Campbell had placed his mark on the receipt for the sale of the land he was killed by a lightening strike while working in his barn. John is buried in this cemetery beside family and friends on the land he once owned since 1832, in the town that still bears his name.