Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery, Deerhurst

Cemetery was actually est in 1830 along with the first church.
The above date  references the building of last church on this site.

History of Deerhurst

Headstone of James and Joanna Tindall
who donated the land for the church & cemetery in 1830

Corner stone of the last church built on this site
in 1880.

The Samuel & Mary Neilly Cairn
who settled in this area in 1831. Cairn was erected in 1931
by their descendants

Marker of an unnamed infant

Early Graves from 1830's

Ebenezer Wesleyan Cemetery is located in the hamlet of Deerhurst in Bradford West Gwillimbury, on lot 16 concession 12.  It is just north of the Line 12 on the east side of Yonge Street.  

The land was donated by James Tindall a native of Yorkshire England in 1830 for the building of a church and establishment of a cemetery.  There have been a total of three church buildings, the second was built in 1850 and the third in 1880.  The corner stone of the third church is located to the north side of the property where the building once stood, the building was removed in 1966.  

James Tindall and his wife Joanna are both buried in this cemetery along with a number of his descendants.

The cemetery is still receiving burials for those with family plots. It is maintained today by the town of Bradford West Gwillimbury and is designated as an historical site. 

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lawrence Cemetery, Barrie

Graves for the Lawrence family are just to the right
of this sign.  All are unmarked.

Lawrence Cemetery is located on the west side of Penetanguishene Rd south of Georgian Drive at Lot 5 Concession 1 on the out skirts of Barrie. 

The land was purchased in 1844 by the Wesleyan Methodist Church as a site for a chapel and burial ground from John and Clarissa Lawrence.  John and Clarissa along with their son, John Duffield Lawrence and his wife, a native woman (no name provided), are all buried in unmarked graves near the front of the property on the north side.  

The burials according to the OGS are mostly for the Lawrence and Hickling families, who are located at the rear of the property and are the only family that have marked graves on this site. 

There are twelve known burials; with the last burial probably occurring in 1909.  Shortly afterwards the site was abandoned. 

Today the area is a designated historical site, although in the early part of 2013 the City of Barrie has proposed closing the unused rear of the property.  It is the intention of the city to rezone and re developed this section of land.  They claim that there are no burials in this location.

Charles & Mary Hickling
Charles' grave is believed to be the last burial in this cemetery

More Hickling Family graves

Grave marker of Silas Hickling


The Little Brick Church & Cemetery, Oro Station

Plaque explaining the establishing of Crawford Church

Church  Building c 1882.
The Little United Brick Church, aka The Ridge Road Church, aka The Crawford Church is located on Ridge Road just west of Line 6 in Oro Station.  In 1865 the first log church was situated just east of the present day building on land donated by Thomas Ross, maternal grandfather to the Emms family.  The brick church was built in 1882 on land donated by Charles Ross.  The builders of the present day church were Henry Crawford and his son George.  It was on Henry's farm, north east of here that the bricks were made and his son George was the lead carpenter.

West side original cemetery grounds

Old Crawford Graves

Emms Family Plot

The cemetery was established in 1882 with the first burial being for Anne Wasnidge.  In 1894 the cost of a burial plot was $ 4.00 each. For many years local storekeeper, Burt Graham hand dug the graves in this cemetery as well maintaining the church and the grounds.  He is buried here along with the Crawford's Graham's, Ross' and Emms'. The east side of the brick church were the drive sheds were once located is also now a cemetery which contains burials from the early 20th century. 

The church was Methodist by denomination and became United in 1925. According the the Twp burial register the church as known as the The Crawford Church up until 1915. 

The last regular service was held in March 1968.  Today the cemetery still received burials for those who have family plots and there is an annual memorial service held every year on the second weekend in July.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

King Christian Cemetery, Kettleby, King Twp.

King Christian, aka Emmanuel Baptist Church, aka Hilborn Settlement Cemetery is located on the west side of Jane Street, just north of the 19th Side Road in Kettleby, King Twp.  The King Christian Church was founded in 1851 by an offshoot group of the Children of Peace from Sharon, Ontario.  

The Cemetery was established at the same time but was known as Hilborn Settlement Cemetery.  By the late 1800's the cemetery had been neglected and was no longer being used. Most of the burials had been located to the Kettleby Cemetery which was established in the 1890's.  In 1931 the congregation became known as the King Emmanuel Baptist Church.

In 1985 the remaining markers in the cemetery were restored by the King Heritage Association and placed in a cairn. Several larger monuments were placed in front of the cairn, but are now nearly completely overgrown by the ornamental bushes planted there 30 years ago. The cemetery is now maintained by the Twp of King.

Wesleyan Old Methodist, Strange (King Twp)

Marker for Emma & Evenjaline Wood
Children of Joseph  & Catherine Wood
Both died March 1852, first burials

Grave marker of Lewis Wellman
Son of George & Sarah Wellman
Died April 1878 at the age of 2 mons.
One of the last burials.

Wesleyan Old Methodist Cemetery in the hamlet of Strange in King Twp is located on the east side of Weston Rd, north of King Rd. It is not a very conspicuous site to say the least, I found it by pure accident on day while sitting in traffic.  The cemetery is surrounded by trees and brush, with a small opening on to Weston Rd, where the sign is that marks its location.

The cemetery was established in 1852 on land owned by Peter McCallum.  A church did stand on the land until 1900, the cemetery was abandoned in 1878.  In 1900 J.D. McCallum purchased the land and built a sawmill which operated in the area for many years.  The congregation by this time had moved to Laskey Methodist Church in Laskey Ontario which is just a few kilometers south of this location at Weston Rd & King Rd.  

During the last transcription of this cemetery in 1989, there were 22 noted graves. Unfortunately, time has taken its toll and only 11 can now be accounted for.  The cemetery is maintained by the Township of King 

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Society of Friends, Dunkerron, New Tecumseth

Doyle Family Graves

Grave of Peter Doyle

Grave of Phebe Doyle first wife of Peter Doyle
and their infant son Jacob

Grave of Rachel Doyle second wife of Peter Doyle

Society of Friends, Dunkerron,  New Tecumseth

This small cemetery lies on the side of a hill at the north-west corner of Hwy 27 and 3rd Line in Tecumseth.  It is all that remains of a community of Quakers that had its roots in the early Yonge Street at Newmarket, which spread into West Gwilliambury and Tecumseth.

Peter Doyle, a Quaker, then of Whitechurch, purchased the south part of Lot 24, concession 3 about 100 acres in 1825 from Samuel Manning for the sum of 50 pounds.  In April of 1834 Doyle gave the S.E. corner of 2 acres to the Trustees of the Society of Friends for the consideration of 10 shillings. 

The area was already in use as cemetery the first burials where that of Jacob Doyle, infant son of Peter and Phoebe Doyle who died in 1831 and Phoebe Doyle, wife of Peter Doyle in 1834.  Peter Doyle and his second wife would both be buried here as well.  Peter in 1888 at the age of 74 and his second wife Rachel in 1891 at the age of 74.

The land did have a wooden meeting house similar to the one that stands today on Yonge Street in Newmarket.  The meeting house was still on the property in 1912 but was closed by that time.  There is no record of when it was removed.  The last burial in the cemetery was believed to be in 1944.

Emmanuel United Church Cemetery, Bond Head, West Gwilliambury

Emmanuel United Church Cemetery, Bond Head, West Gwilliambury

Emmanuel United Church Cemetery, aka Bond head United Church Cemetery, aka First Canada Presbyterian Church, West Gwilliambury Cemetery is located at Hwy 27 and the 7th line, (Highway 88) in the Town of Bradford, West Gwilliambury.  

Emmanuel United Church came into being in 1925 when the United Church of Canada was formed.  The cemetery was originally Presbyterian; the Methodist congregation used the cemetery at Newton Robinson.

The land was given to the Bond Head Congregation by a Mr. Fraser who farmed the land located at Lot 1, Concession 6 of West Gwilliambury.  The first church was built in 1837 and in 1853 the cemetery was enlarged when Samuel Manning and his wife gave ½ acre to the N. ½ of lot 1 to the church for “no consideration”.  In 1872 a new brick church was built and a third addition to the cemetery came in 1910 when William Monkman and his wife of West Gwilliambury, sold a piece of land for the sum of $ 175.00 to the Trustees.

The church burnt down in 1941 and was not rebuilt until after WWII in 1953.  Much of the wood and stone materials from the burnt out church was used in the construction of the new church.  The cemetery and church are still in use.