Saturday, April 30, 2011

Derry West Anglican Cemetery, Mississauga

The Founding of Derry West

Submerged Headstone

Sunken Headstones

Derry West Anglican Cemetery is located on the N/W corner of Derry Road and Hurontario Street in the City of Mississauga. It was the site of the original Hurontario Anglican Church, established in 1822.  Joseph Carter received a crown grant for 200 acres.  On this concession he built a small log church which opened on July 27th, 1829.  The corner stone was blessed with whiskey brought from the hotel located across the road.  Bishop Strachan refused to grant holy orders for the church stating that it had begun in drunkenness and ribaldry.  After, a disappointed Carter sold the farm to William Orr, but the 1/2 acre on which the church sat was deeded to the Church of England.  In 1843 the rough cast church was replaced with a mud brick building

Derry West was named by George Graham who's forefathers fought at Londonderry Ireland.  In 1867 the small hamlet was swept by fire, from which it never really recovered. There is no trace of the earlier burials from 1829 to 1840.  The earliest maker is that of Ann Nixon 1842, which is towards the rear of the property and is laying flat in the ground.  The last burial is that of Mary Graham in 1936.  The cemetery is under the care of the City of Mississauga.  

Friday, April 29, 2011

Bolton Anglican & Methodist Cemeteries, Bolton

Hall Monument in Old Anglican Cemetery

Base of Monument in Family Plot

Bolton Anglican Cemetery is located on a hill opposite Laurelhill Cemetery on Centennial Drive, west side of Hwy 50.  The Cemetery and first Anglican Church in Bolton Village was established on land conveyed by James and Ellen Bolton and Samuel and Ann Sterne in 1845.  However, burials on the land were as early as 1822.  The decorative iron fences found around the plots were made by Plummer Foundry in Bolton. The last burial was that of John Lougheed 76 years, on April 14, 1925.

Cairn Erected in 1972 the year of Bolton's Centennial

 At the center of the grounds is a walled cairn erected in 1972 the year of Bolton's Centennial. Headstones from both cemeteries that were found laying on the ground were preserved in this cairn.  The cairn sits on the old railway leading to the old Anglican Church site.

Old Methodist Cemetery

The Methodist Cemetery is located on the north hill of the property, opposite the Anglican Cemetery.  The land was conveyed by James and Ellen Bolton and James and Maria Warbrick to the trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bolton Village circa 1850.  After 1893 there were few burials in either cemetery due to the establishment of the Laurelhill Cemetery.  A number of burials from both cemeteries were  also relocated to the new cemetery in the late 1800's early 1900's

All Saints Anglican Cemetery, King City

Old Headstones at All Saints 

Grave for Hall Contains 5 burials, 4 are children

All Saints Anglican Church and Cemetery est 1857 is located on the west side of Keele Street, just south of King Street in King City.  The Church is still an active congregation, but the cemetery is inactive, receiving its last burial in 1926.  The cemetery does take cremation memorials in the form of newly planted trees with memorial plaques mounted on wooden pedestals.  A large number of headstones are either not legible or have sunken into the ground. The cemetery is on the south side of the church building.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Schomberg Union Cemetery, Schomberg Twp. of King.

Chapel at Schomberg Union Cemetery

Quaker Pioneer Graves

Quaker Pioneer Graves

Grave of John Nicholas Kline

Gate Dedicated to the Society of Friends 1932 

Schomberg Union Cemetery, originally Friends Quaker Cemetery is located on the west side of Hwy 27 north of Lloydtown- Aurora Rd in Schomberg Village, Twp. of King.

The cemetery was established in 1833 by the Society of Friends (Quakers).  The chapel on the property was typical of the simple austere building used by the Quakers, referred to as a meeting house. The Quaker pioneer graves are located at the center of the  property, they are small white simple markers arranged in neat rows. The cemetery today is non-denominational and is managed by the Schomberg Cemetery Board.

Notable burial is that of John Nicholas Kline, d.1854 at 29 years of age.  The village of Kleinburg is named for him.  His house still stands at the N/E corner of Islington Ave and Nashville Rd in Kleinburg, City of Vaughan.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church & Cemetery (Wildfield) Brampton

St. Patrick's R.C. Church, Brampton

Cairn Containing Headstones from
the Original Settler Burials

The Wives of Barnard McMahon

Cairn with the names of 375 people

St. Patrick's R.C. Church and Cemetery is located on the S/E corner of The Gore and Mayfield Roads in Brampton. The area was originally called Grantville in 1833 after a scotch settler named Simon Peter Grant, then Gibbon in 1873 after Father John Joseph Gibbon and finally in 1891, Wildfield.  In 1834, 200 acres were deed to the trust of St. Patrick's Parish with the N/W corner being designated as a cemetery. The rest of   the property was used as a farm to educate orphaned boys The first registered burial occurred in 1833 that of Catherine Burns.  The present day church on the property was built by Father Francis McSpirit in 1894.

In 1964 the upright head stones were gathered into the cairn which is located at the front of the property and only in ground monuments are now used.  A cairn also contains a large bronze plaque containing the names of 375 settlers who were buried here.  The parish is still active, but the cemetery is only open to those who have family plots. This site is a designated heritage site by the Brampton Heritage Board.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Cemetery (Strange) Twp of King.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Cemetery

Pioneer Headstones & Former Church Building

Rear of Property, Older Headstones
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Cemetery, Strange, is located on the west side of Weston Road, north of King Road, in Twp. of King. The church and cemetery are now privately owned.

The land was purchased from Andrew and Mary Norton on December 26, 1853 by the church trustees for a church, manor and burial ground.  Church services had been held prior to this in a log structure since 1834.

The present day building, now a private home, was built in 1860.  The church continued here until 1958. At that time the congregations amalgamated with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Everslery, (King City) also now closed.

The cemetery was closed the same year.  The cemetery is administered by St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, King City.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel & Cemetery, Brampton

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel

Cairn with Pioneer Headstones

Reverse Side of Cairn

Headstone of John & James Smith
Earliest Burials

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Cemetery, aka Ebenezer United Church Cemetery is located on east side of The Gore Road, north of Hwy 7 in Brampton directly next to The Gore Center.  The cemetery was established in 1848 on land deed by James Sleigholm and his wife Ann to be used for a church site and burying ground for the small sum of 5 shillings.  The chapel was established circa 1858 and is located on the north west corner of the property.  The earliest registered death is that of John Smith, stepson of James Sleighholm who drowned in 1838.  His remains were buried in another location and were moved to this site in 1848 after the death of his brother James.  Prior to 1848 burials took place at Hilltop Gore Cemetery. In 1933 there were 93 registered burial for this cemetery, the last being in the early 1900's.  The site today is a designated heritage site and the chapel is no longer used for services.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

St. John's Anglican Cemetery, (Gore) Brampton

Corner Stone of St. John's Anglican Church
Cairn made from the bricks of the church building

Cemetery view from church site

Head stones of  John & Ann Erwin
and their hired man William Palmlaw

St. John's Anglican Cemetery, aka Erwin's was established on land donated by John Erwin in 1844.  It is located on the west side of the Gore Road, south of Castlemore Road in Brampton. The original church site was at the center of the burial ground, probably built in 1845. The second church made of brick est. 1888 was situated more the north of the property where the present day cairn is located. 

It is said that John Erwin had a falling out with the church wardens and after his death in 1852 he was buried 100 yards outside of the church yard, along with his with his wife Ann who died in 1862 and their hired man William Palmlaw who died in 1858.  This decision was later regretted and all three burials were removed and brought into the cemetery, no date given as to when this happened.  The church was demolished sometime after 1989 as it was still on site during the last transcription of the cemetery.

St. Paul's Presbyterian Cemetery, (Linton) Nobleton

St. Paul's Presbyterian Cemetery, Linton

St. Paul's Presbyterian Cemetery, aka Linton Church Cemetery, aka Ninth Line Church Cemetery (Linton), was established in 1851 on land donated by James Stewart. It is located on top of a hill on the west side of Hwy 27 opposite Nobleton Lakes Golf Club. The church and cemetery were closed in 1958 when the congregation amalgamated with other congregations in the area. The church building was removed from the site shortly after but was demolished in 1973. The cemetery was placed in perpetual care in the late fifties.  Some burials have been removed to other cemeteries in the area. The Cemetery is managed by King Twp.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Woodbridge Pioneer Cemetery, Woodbridge

Stone Cairn Wesleyan Methodist Church and Burying Ground

Woodbridge Pioneer Cemetery, aka Wesleyan Methodist Burying Ground, Burwick Chapel, is located on the north side of Meeting House Road in the Woodbridge area of the City of Vaughan. Burwick was the original name for the village of Woodbridge.

The cemetery was established in 1834, the first church was a log structure built in 1836, the second a brick structure built in 1854.  A third church was built, but in another location in 1886 when the second church became too small. Unfortunately the church records have been lost.

Like most of the small church burial grounds their usefulness seemed to wane when the community cemeteries were established in the mid 1800's and early 1900's.  There were two established at this time, Maple Cemetery in Maple and Hillcrest in Woodbridge.

In 1972 the then Town of Vaughan gathered the remainder of headstones and placed them into a cairn which is located at the back of the grounds.  A number of burials were removed to other cemeteries in the area in the early 1900's   The site today is cared for by the City of Vaughan.

Baker - Cober Cemetery, Thornhill

Cober Dunkard Meeting House

Drive Shed

Cemetery Grounds & Meeting House

Marker for Atkinson brought from
the Atkinson Family Burying Ground
by Fred Atkinson in 1965.

Old Headstones for Reaman
found in Carrville Cemetery and
removed to this location by the Reaman family

Baker-Cober aka Cober-Baker aka Brethren In Christ aka Cober Dunkard Cemetery, is located on the east side of Dufferin Street, north of Summeridge Drive in the Thornhill area of the City of Vaughan. Land for this cemetery was donated by Bishop Peter Cober and Micheal Baker, brothers-in-law who had adjoining farms. The earliest burial was in 1839 and the latest was 2010, both for the Baker family.  The cemetery is Brethren in Christ in denomination and still has the little plain meeting house and drive shed on the property.

Family names in this cemetery are very common to the old York Twp where numerous families from the Mennonite, Quaker and Dunkard denominations settled after migrating from the Pennsylvania and New York areas of America in the late 1700's  The cemetery today is managed by the Baker-Cober Cemetery Board and is still active.