Monday, May 9, 2011

Wideman Mennonite Cemetery, Markham


Early Mennonite Graves


Early Mennonite Headstone in German


Wideman Mennonite Cemetery is located 10530 Markham Road, Hwy 48, on the west side of the road in the Town of Markham.  The Cemetery and Church are named for the Wideman Family who were the first Mennonite pioneers to Markham Twp.  Henry Wideman was the first minister of the Mennonite Church.  

In 1810 Henry was killed by a falling tree, since the Mennonite cemetery had not been established at that time he was buried in the community cemetery at Dickson's Hill.  The first meeting house was built on the property of Christopher Hoover, the property was then sold in 1826 to Abraham Lehman.  Lehman died in 1827 and was the first burial in the cemetery.  His marker is made of field stone and is located at the north end of the property. 

The property was eventually sold to the Mennonite Society in 1845 for a church and cemetery.  The modern day church on the site today is still attended by many of the descendent's of those who are buried here.  The cemetery is still active. 

2 comments:

  1. Wideman,Burkholder,Wismer were the Black Walnut Clan who came in Conestoga wagons in 1700's from united states to Ontario.then headed to western Canada.some gravestones are in Jordon Ontario and now here.I have to find this cemetery.I feel its also a link to my grandfather Wilfred wismers heritage.He was a Quaker.I would love to attend to a meeting.

    I will bring a photocopied page out of a history book of the journey of these quakers.Can you please email me where the meeting house is and times.I hope to tell the tale of the journey and hopefully my facts will be a link to our comrades. Sincerely Shelley Plant notify me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a photographer in Toronto, but it's my first time to see the Wideman Mennonite Cemetery.

    ReplyDelete