Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mayfield United Church Cemetery, Caledon

Mayfield United Church Cemetery was est. in 1842, but the first burial was for Patrick Spiers Jnr., in 1836. His father Patrick Spiers Snr., donated the land in 1842 for a church and burial ground. The second church on this site was built in 1875 and still stands today and still conducts services. Most of the head stones have been gathered into two cairns at the west end of the burial lot. They say everyone buried here is related.  That's entirely possible as most families back in the 1800's married within their community.  Who else did they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment