Sunday, February 20, 2011

Edgeley Cemetery, Concord

Edgeley Cemetery

Stone Cairn with Settler Headstones

Stone Cairn for Edgeley Meeting House

Gates to Edgeley Cemetery

Founding of Edgeley

Edgeley Cemetery aka Edgeley Mennonite Cemetery is located on the west side of Jane St south of Hwy 7 in the Concord area of the City of Vaughan.

Settlers from Sommerset Pennsylvania arrived in this area cira 1800. Names such as Shunk, Smith, Dalziel and Snider  were common to this area well in to the 20th century and many of these early pioneers are resting in this spot. 

The stone cairn in the north east corner of the lot marks the original location of the log meeting house which was built in 1824.  In 1976 the structure was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village. 

The cemetery is now owned by the City of Vaughan.

No comments:

Post a Comment