Emmanuel United Church Cemetery, Bond Head, West Gwilliambury
Emmanuel United Church Cemetery, aka Bond head United Church Cemetery, aka First Canada Presbyterian Church, West Gwilliambury Cemetery is located at Hwy 27 and the 7th line, (Highway 88) in the Town of Bradford, West Gwilliambury.
Emmanuel United Church came into being in 1925 when the United Church of Canada was formed. The cemetery was originally Presbyterian; the Methodist congregation used the cemetery at Newton Robinson.
The land was given to the Bond Head Congregation by a Mr. Fraser who farmed the land located at Lot 1, Concession 6 of West Gwilliambury. The first church was built in 1837 and in 1853 the cemetery was enlarged when Samuel Manning and his wife gave ½ acre to the N. ½ of lot 1 to the church for “no consideration”. In 1872 a new brick church was built and a third addition to the cemetery came in 1910 when William Monkman and his wife of West Gwilliambury, sold a piece of land for the sum of $ 175.00 to the Trustees.
The church burnt down in 1941 and was not rebuilt until after WWII in 1953. Much of the wood and stone materials from the burnt out church was used in the construction of the new church. The cemetery and church are still in use.