|Grave of one of the|
children of Peter Shanks
|Grave of Dr. Mahaffy the|
first Medical Practitioner in the area
|Cairn made from the stone foundation|
of the church which stood on this site
Lloydtown Anglican Cemetery is located on the south side of Church Street, on the east part of lot 31, concession 9, in Lloydtown, King Twp. The area was named for Jesse Lloyd a Quaker settler who arrived in the area in the early 1800's.
The land for the first church and cemetery was donated by T.W. Tyson in 1842. The first church was in service until 1925 when a new church was built in Schomberg. The original church was demolished in 1931 and a cairn constructed from the old foundation stones was placed on the site were the church once stood in 1941 by Richard Oldfield and Edward Merchant.
When T.W. Tyson gave the land for the cemetery the trust set forth in the deed was as follows: "Upon Trust to hold forever, hereafter, for the use of a certain church of the United Church of England and Ireland, which has been erected upon said parcel of land, and for a burial ground in connection therewith." In 1885 an additional 1/2 acre was purchased from Mr Peter Shanks who is buried with several members of his family in this cemetery.
In 1928 Mr. Edward Merchant opened an Endowment Fund with the Synod of the Diocese of Toronto. The income from this fund was to be used exclusively for the up keep of the cemetery, and the principal could never under any circumstances be withdrawn. The original investment was $ 150.00, of which $ 100.00 was donated by Mr. Thomas Skelton of Hamilton. Mr. Skelton's mother was one of the first burials in the cemetery.
The cemetery is still active and many of the decedents of the pioneer families are still buried here.